Sweet, pungent and warm
2 MERIDIANS3 FUNCTIONS
Liver, heart and spleen
- To replenish blood;
- To invigorate blood and stop pain;
- To moisten the intestines
- Syndromes due to deficiency of blood. Chinese angelica root (Dang Gui) is used with White peony root (Bai Shao), Prepared rehmannia root (Shu Di Huang) and Astragalus root (Huang Qi) in the formula Siwu Tang or Danggui Buxue Tang.
- Irregular menstruation. Chinese angelica root (Dangui) is used with Prepared rehmannia root (Shudihuang), White peony root (Baishao) and Chuangxiong rhizome (Chuan Xiong) in the formula Siwu Tang.
- Dysmenorrhea. Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Cyperus tuber (Xiang Fu), Corydalis tuber (Yan Hu Suo) and Motherwort (Yi Mu Cao)
- Amenorrhea. Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Peach seed (Tao Ren) and Safflower (Hong Hua).
- Uterine bleeding. Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Donkey hide gelatin(E Jiao), Mugwort leaf (Ai Ye) and Fresh rehmannia root (Sheng Di Huang).
- Pains due to stagnation of blood;a)pain caused by external injuries-Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Safflower (Honghua), Peach seed (Taoren), Frankincense(Ruxing)and Myrrh (Mo Yao); b)pain caused by carbuncles and furuncles-Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Moutan bark (Mu Dan Pi), Red peony (Chi Shao), Honeysuckle flower (Jin Yin Hua) and Forsythia fruit (Lian Qiao); c)postpartum abdominal pain-Chinese angelica root (Danggui)is used with Motherwort(Yimucao), Peach seed (Taoren) and Chuanxiong rhizome (Chuanxiong); d)wind-damp obstruction (rheumaticpain)-Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Cinnamon twigs(Gui Zhi), Spatholobus stem (ji Xue Teng) and White peony root (Baishao).
- Constipation due to dryness in the intestines. Chinese angelica root (Danggui) is used with Cistanche(Rou Cong Rong) and Hem seed (Huo Ma Ren).
The head of the herb is more effective for nourishing blood; the tail is good for moving blood; and the body is used to invigorate and nourish blood. Chinese angelica root (Danggui), when mixed with wine, can enhance the function of invigorating blood. It is contraindicated in cases of excessive dampness in the stomach and spleen, and of Diarrhea or loose stool.